Teenager who almost died warns others not to vape

A British teenager who almost died when he fell ill after vaping has warned others to stay away from the devices.Ewan Fisher, who celebrates his 19th birthday on Tuesday, turned to vaping as a way of giving up cigarettes but went on to suffer serious respiratory failure.He was treated for hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) – a…

Teenager who almost died warns others not to vape


A British teenager who nearly passed away when he fell ill after vaping has alerted others to keep away from the gadgets.

Ewan Fisher, who celebrates his 19 th birthday on Tuesday, turned to vaping as a way of quiting cigarettes but went on to suffer severe respiratory failure.

He was treated for hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP)– a kind of allergy to something breathed in which results in swelling of the lung tissue– and medics say his issues were caused by e-cigarettes.

Mr Fisher, from Arnold in Nottingham, told the PA news agency that he practically died as doctors worked round the clock to save his life.

He stated: ” I was vaping for about four or 5 months prior to I got ill. I ‘d say I was vaping about a typical amount– perhaps 10 to 15 times a day.

” In advance, I ‘d been a cigarette smoker on 13 to 14 cigarettes a day, then I switched to vaping however eventually I wanted to leave both of them.

” I changed to vaping due to the fact that I believed it would be much healthier and I was actually into my boxing at the time so wished to feel fit.

” In the run-up to going to health center, I had a choking cough and I was struggling to breathe.

” My mum was really worried and took me to Queen’s Medical Centre.

” I was actually struggling to breathe and they rushed me into a side ward and put canulas into me and it went downhill from there.

” I wound up in intensive care and required 2 kinds of life assistance. I almost died.

” I needed Ecmo (Additional Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation), however I was sedated for that so I don’t remember much about it.”

Ewan was treated with Ecmo at Queen’s and after that transferred to Glenfield Medical facility in Leicester, where medics have knowledge in Ecmo.

Ecmo is a type of life support based on an outside artificial lung that puts oxygen into the blood and pumps it around the body.

Mr Fisher stated his experience suggests he would warn others keep away from vaping.

” It was absolutely vaping that made me ill,” he said. “I had numerous tests which revealed it was to blame.

” To people that already smoke, I ‘d say go to the physician’s for help, don’t simply switch to vaping.

” And to all the teens that vape and believe it’s something excellent, it’s really not.

” I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody, it ruins you and your household, and it affects your mental health.

” I would say my health is back to 80%but I still suffer from stress and anxiety about all of it.

” I missed my GCSEs, my mum needed to take all the time off work, she had a hard time economically and she likewise had my more youthful sis to look after.”

Mr Fisher, who deals with his mother, Melanie Kelham, a carer, and his younger sis, presently works in a shop and is studying level 3 business at college.

He wants to get a job in accountancy in the future.

Find Out More @ Short Article Source

Subscribe To Our Newsletter